Sunday, September 27, 2009

My favorite family...

So tonight at work I stop by the Stomp the Stigma event at the high school (that would be a whole other post) and in the lot run into one of my past DARE students. I have known this family for maybe 8 years now. I had the oldest "F" my first year of DARE and a few years after her sister "A" . ( There are also two brothers but they are both much younger (2nd marriage) and DARE is no longer in our schools...) When I started with this family I knew the Mom was a domestic violence survivor and that "F" had seen many horrible things as a toddler/young child. Mom left her abuser when "A" was an infant.....now flash forward and Mom has moved to Illinois has remarried and has had two boys "T" and "M".

Little man "M" has been the light of this family. He has endured a heart transplant, cancer, chemo....and last I had been told he was in full remission and doing well...

When I saw "A" tonight she gave me a hug and then told me "M" was back in the hospital and the cancer was back .Her mom is fighting to have him moved to another hospital for another type of treatment but insurance would not pay for it. "A" thinks this time "M" is going die and God won't save him a 3rd time.

It just breaks my heart with what this family has gone through in the last 6 years. Both"F" and "A" are beautiful girls who have seen so much. When "M" was first diagnosed with cancer "F" started getting in trouble at school and abusing alcohol. Now, I am worried that it will come to a point where she is going to get arrested or worse get hurt/killed because of a choice she has made while out drinking.

I wish I knew the answers to help this family....sometimes it just sucks to have my job...I see the path and I know how this will end and I don't want this family to have to deal with any more heartaches.

So, no funny stories about work tonight....just some of the reality of what we really deal with and think about while we "patrol".

No comments:

Post a Comment